In case you haven’t noticed Brussel Sprouts are like #sohotrightnow. These mini cruciferous veggies have taken over restaurant menus, food blogs, Thanksgiving spreads and kitchens near you as the trendiest green of the season (kale, you’ll always have a place … Continue reading
Ah yes, one of America’s favorite holidays is back and the vast majority of us will celebrate by stuffing our faces. Lucky for you, I’ve scoured basically the entire internet to bring you a plethora of Thanksgiving dish ideas that … Continue reading
Like I mentioned last week, this time of year I’m craving warm,comforting and filling fare on the regular. And let me tell you, this meal is certainly no exception. If you’re not familiar with the “Buddha Bowl” craze let me … Continue reading
It’s Halloween and I’m celebrating it with a little something special this year (and no, it’s not getting my twerk on in a Miley Cyrus costume) but rather by paying tribute to the holiday’s tried and true mascot- the pumpkin! … Continue reading
Oh hey dear readers! My sincerest apologies for my lack of posting, but I have been quite busy the past couple of months. Doing lots of really important stuff. Like, for instance, this- (aka- cuddling under the covers with Dexter) … Continue reading
It feels like just yesterday I was blogging about the seasons shifting into spring. And now here we are, a mere six months later, with the leaves changing, the air chilling, and autumn in full force. Although the rain is … Continue reading
Sometimes, a chick just needs a sandwich. When it’s hot out, when you’re in a hurry, when you’re starving, when you need something easy but delicious, when you’re hiking, on a picnic… only a sandwich will suffice. Being gf + … Continue reading
In the words of one of my fave food bloggers, Thug Kitchen, “It’s peach season bitches!” Which is only like, the best. season.ever. Because honestly, who doesn’t love peaches?! (I mean, there’s a pretty famous song written about them and … Continue reading
Pardon my online absence, but it was for a good reason. Last week I took off from work, unplugged (literally) and spent an entire seven days on Lake Couer d’alene boating, bbq’ing and getting in some good QT with my … Continue reading
There’s nothing like a glass of boss sauce to start your day off right (thanks for my new fave phrase Thug Kitchen). This shake keeps it particularly bossy with protein, mad antioxidants, fiber and omega-3’s. One sip is like a flavor explosion in your mouth. The good kind.
If you’re not already dying to try out this shake, here’s 5 more reasons to sway you:
1. It’s packed with acai berries, which are not only really tasty but are also considered a super food with more antioxidants than blueberries. These little guys also help improve mental function, boosts energy, fight against free radicals and even increase blood circulation which ahem, leads to increased sex drive. Super food fo sho.
2. Ch-ch-ch-chia! These seeds literally help to slow down digestion and are jam packed with fiber- i.e. you will stay fuller longer. Seriously, this shake keeps me satisfied for HOURS, which is no easy feat.
3. Adding in a scoop of pea protein powder sneaks in an additional 20 grams of protein. So when non-vegans ask you how you get your protein (world’s most annoying question?) you have at least one go-to answer on hand.
4. Creamy delicious hemp milk keeps your tummy happy (if you read this post you already know the negative effects of dairy) and aids in strengthening your immune system, hair, skin, nails and heart. Boom!
5. Vegans and non-vegans alike will love this smoothie. Hints of cinnamon, vanilla bean and dates add in just the right amount of sweetness (the natural way) and it’s thick and creamy just like a milk shake (minus the thousands of calories, fat, sugar, etc.) It’s the MLB (meat-lovin’ boyfriends’) absolute FAVORITE- enough said.
Purple Power Protein Shake adapted from Kimberly Snyder
2 cups organic unsweetened vanilla hemp milk
1 scoop vegan pea protein or 1/2 cup fresh coconut meat
1 frozen unsweetened acai smoothie packet
1 banana, previously chopped and frozen
1 tbsp chia seeds
4 dates, pitted and chopped
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 vanilla bean or 1/2 tsp vanilla
3-4 ice cubes
1. Toss all the ingredients into a blender and press a button. And you’re done. Now drink up like a BOSS.